Advance Fair Australia

This article begins the first day of the next period of my life. I have begun my third career shift to culinary, from what seemed to be a glamorous but directionless Bachelors degree in International Studies and unsuccessful Master of Science degree in Marketing. I may have to contemplate a fourth if two years of kitchen science and art will only lead me to dishwashing, not to mention a heavily desecrated pair of hands.

As you may have noticed in my previous articles, my early life was a struggle for glamour, for a sense of creativity, for something worthwhile. My food articles were press releases and I wrote like horse blindfolded and following the scent of a carrot, whichever direction the press release desired. My fashion articles were no different, except that I had an idea of what I wanted to wear and at least had a few droplets of my opinion. The rest, let the veteran writers be the judge of that.

I was born in May 30, 1975, a decade too early. I was raised in an upper middle class family and of Caviteno and Waray roots. My father and mother is Spanish mestizo and Chinese mestiza respectively. I spend my early childhood and puberty in the walls of Colegio San Agustin – Makati and college years at De La Salle University – Manila. I am content of my beginnings but regret the years after. For they were lacking of direction and abundant of unfulfilled dreams.

I arrived in the former British City of Sydney in 2009. It has changed a lot from the past 15 years and its menu is now heavily influenced by Italian, Lebanese and Thai cooking. The Aussie beef remains the same though and they make my mouth water. Chicken nuggets and Calamari remain street food in the suburbs. Its women quite impressive though a bit less bubbly compared to the average American. I love the weather, though one can enjoy it only with ample amount of shopping funds and large enough a heater for the winter nights.

The Filipino community is warm, of the Creole status, but peculiar. Their menu is infested with glutinous rice, unsauteed garlic and onions and fancies for Chinese restaurants, which is totally opposite in Manila. The only Filipino familiar to me is the TFC, otherwise known as The Filipino Channel, where I see familiar shows like Tayong Dalawa and feature videos of Manila High Society.

My first home was Casa Maglaya in West Pennant Hills. The house was rather huge and its kitchen fantastic! I miss it. Regular dinners were either sinigang, paksiw or pancit. Typical breakfast were cereals. On certain weekends, we add scrambled eggs in the Filipino style of tomatoes and onion omelette. On certain days that I feel homesick, I cook Salpicao, Paella and buttered vegetables in their fabulous kitchen. They liked the Salpicao though only my first preparation was successful. My Paella was eternally a disaster.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

My Road to Perdition

The Island of Reality